Second year was `nightmare` for UPA-II govt: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday said the second year had
been a "nightmare" for the UPA-II government due to its dismal
track record in which it failed in checking corruption,
tackling economic challenges like price rise and in fighting
"The UPA has had a dismal track record in the last year.
It was a nightmare for the government. A year which any
government would love to forget. We fail to understand what is
there for it to celebrate," Leader of Opposition in Rajya
Sabha Arun Jaitley said on the completion of two years of
He insisted that it was a "wasted opportunity" for the
government as its credibility has "hit rock-bottom".
The BJP leader maintained that the Manmohan Singh
government had failed in all areas of governance.
On the economic front, UPA-II had failed to check the
high rate of inflation and the investment environment in the
country stands disturbed, he said.
Jaitley said amid all these challenges, the ministers did
not agree on several issues while UPA allies were busy making
money from corruption.
"People do not remember the Commonwealth Games for the
games that took place but essentially for the corruption
around the games," he said.
The senior BJP leader mentioned a recent Time magazine
article which states that the 2G spectrum allocation scam was
the second biggest after the Watergate scam.
He was also critical of the role played by the
investigative agencies like the CBI which, he alleged, were
working at the behest of the government.
Jaitley hailed the role of the opposition, media and
the judiciary for "jumping into action" to corner the corrupt
practices in the UPA-II government.
The main opposition also took a dig at the government for
failing to find a solution to the Telangana issue.
He also said the UPA regime has failed to combat Maoists
and there is no progress in the fight against Naxal violence.
On the issue of Jammu and Kashmir, the BJP leader
maintained that the government was merely indulging in
"various adventures" like forming groups to look into the
issue and appointing interlocutors who had failed in their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Left comeback in Kerala: Pinarayi Vijayan takes oath as 12th Chief Minister
- Kuch toh gadbad hai! CID taking a short break?
- Zydus Cadila gets USFDA's final nod for fungal treatment drug
- These power-packed dialogues are the soul of Salman Khan's 'Sultan' trailer!
- NIA says modus operandi same in Kathua, Samba and Pathankot terror attacks