Security alert across country for Navratri
New Delhi: In the wake of the coming festive season starting Friday with Navratri, security agencies were put on high alert after intelligence reports of possible terror strikes surfaced.
According to intelligence reports, noted terrorists David Coleman Headley had done the reccee of the religious places in Mumbai and Varanasi. It was also reported that he had handed over a video of Sadhus in Varanasi to the terror organisation, Lashkar-e-Toiba.
According to the reports, Mumbai, Varanasi and Gujarat are the prominent places on terror radar and terrorists are planning to disrupt the festive season.
Earlier, the ghost of David Coleman Headley seems to have returned to India as the Centre has alerted all states, especially those visited by the Pakistani-American terrorist, to tighten security to foil any possible terror strike.
Security has also been tightened in 36 markets in the national capital by deploying additional 1,200 paramilitary force personnel along with Delhi Police men.
Based on specific Intelligence inputs, the Home Ministry asked all states to heighten vigil in crowded places, markets, religious places and all other sensitive installations as terrorists groups might try to strike them, sources said.
Authorities in Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Goa and Delhi have been specifically asked to take extra precautions to guard all places where Headley had visited and did reccee.
Headley, who is currently in the custody of the US, did reconnaissance for Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba in all places which were targeted on 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai.
He had also recced several key locations in Delhi, Pune and Ajmer.
The Home Ministry has asked the states to continue their alertness throughout the coming major festivals like Navratra, Durga Puja and Deepawali which attract major gathering.
Security in Delhi markets has been beefed up as authorities believe they continue to be vulnerable and also terrorists may try to take advantage thinking vigil in other public places may be laxed that due to the ongoing Commonwealth Games.
With PTI Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India