Security beefed up across India ahead of Republic Day
New Delhi: Ahead of the 64th Republic Day celebrations, authorities are leaving no stone unturned to ensure that security remains watertight throughout the country.
Security personnel have been deployed at key installations across the central part of the national capital, and specifically, along the route designated for this Saturday`s annual parade.
A host of dignitaries, including President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and chief guest Bhutan King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck, will take part in the celebrations.
Security has also been tightened at Delhi airport, Metro stations, railway stations and bus depots.
In the northeast, home to several separatist revolts, thousands of troops were deployed to prevent any untoward incidents on the national holiday.
Manipur capital Imphal has been practicing frenetic security drills, with motorcyclists being stopped and frisked in vulnerable and sensitive parts of the city.
As many as seven armed insurgent groups in the state have called for a boycott of Republic Day celebrations, though police officials said that they were geared up for any eventuality.
"In view of the general strikes, shutdown and boycotting of celebrations by various anti-social elements and organisations. The district police have already taken the necessary security measures to disrupt any such attempts of the anti-social elements to disrupt the celebrations," said K Jayanta Singh, Superintendent of Police for Imphal West.
Assam saw a similar stepping up of vigilance, with security personnel flagging down motorists at important points in Guwahati, checking vehicles and documents for any irregularities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown