Security beefed up at Sanjay Dutt`s residence, Arthur Road Jail
Mumbai: A large posse of policemen has been deployed outside actor Sanjay Dutt`s residence at Imperial Heights building in suburban Bandra ahead of his surrender before a designated TADA court here in the 1993 serial blasts case on Thursday.
The security has been beefed in the wake of alleged threat to Dutt`s life and protest by little known organisation "Hindu Rashtra Sena" outside his residence yesterday demanding that the actor should not be granted any VIP treatment.
The Supreme Court in its March 21 verdict awarded five year imprisonment to the 53-year-old actor for illegal possession of arms.
Dutt is slated to surrender before a designated Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) court today as the apex court on May 14 refused to grant him more time to surrender for undergoing remainder of the three-and-a- half-year jail term.
On May 10, the Supreme Court had dismissed Dutt`s plea seeking review of its judgement on his conviction and the five-year jail term.
Dutt`s staff has put up a green cloth on the compound wall of his residence at Pali Hill to avoid media glare as media personnel have been camping at Imperial Heights since last night.
Meanwhile, security has also been beefed up at Arthur Road Central Jail where Dutt is likely to be lodged after he gives himself up before the court.
Jail authorities received an anonymous letter some days back alleging threat to Dutt`s life.
The letter said Dutt would be harmed if he was lodged in Arthur Road Jail.
Dutt had earlier filed an application in TADA court, saying he faced threat to his life from "fundamentalist groups" and hence he may be allowed to give himself up before Yerwada jail authorities in Pune instead of surrendering before the TADA court.
However, Dutt withdrew his plea abruptly yesterday without assigning any reason to the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof