Security for VVIPs to help take "bold" decisions: DP tells SC
New Delhi: If Delhi Police is to be believed, security is provided for VVIPs not because of their status or any specific threat but to "facilitate" bold and impartial decision making by them.
This submission made by the city police in an affidavit to the Supreme Court on Thursday rankled the bench that was hearing a petition on misuse of red beacons on vehicles prompting it to say the document has to be "contemptuously ignored".
The court also pulled up Delhi Police`s Deputy Commissioner(head quarter) for filing the affidavit.
The police in its affidavit filed before the apex court said that security to Union Ministers, Lieutenant Governor, Chief Minister, Cabinet Minister of state and judges of the supreme court and high court are given not on account of their status or specific threat.
"It is further submitted that certain category of individuals, mainly from the higher echelons of the government, needed to be provided basic minimum security arrangements ie. Positional/statutory security cover not on account of their status or specific threat but to facilitate bold and impartial decision making," the eight-page affidavit said.
A bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi who was hearing the case took strong exception to the affidavit and said that it has to be "contemptuously ignored".
"How can our judgement become bold due to security. Is this the level of understanding of the officer? He must be an IPS officer and must have read IPC and CrPC," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?