Security for VVIPs to help take "bold" decisions: DP tells SC
New Delhi: If Delhi Police is to be believed, security is provided for VVIPs not because of their status or any specific threat but to "facilitate" bold and impartial decision making by them.
This submission made by the city police in an affidavit to the Supreme Court on Thursday rankled the bench that was hearing a petition on misuse of red beacons on vehicles prompting it to say the document has to be "contemptuously ignored".
The court also pulled up Delhi Police`s Deputy Commissioner(head quarter) for filing the affidavit.
The police in its affidavit filed before the apex court said that security to Union Ministers, Lieutenant Governor, Chief Minister, Cabinet Minister of state and judges of the supreme court and high court are given not on account of their status or specific threat.
"It is further submitted that certain category of individuals, mainly from the higher echelons of the government, needed to be provided basic minimum security arrangements ie. Positional/statutory security cover not on account of their status or specific threat but to facilitate bold and impartial decision making," the eight-page affidavit said.
A bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi who was hearing the case took strong exception to the affidavit and said that it has to be "contemptuously ignored".
"How can our judgement become bold due to security. Is this the level of understanding of the officer? He must be an IPS officer and must have read IPC and CrPC," the bench said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy