Security forces on alert as Maoists observe `martyrs` week in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Security has been stepped up in the Naxal-affected Bastar region of Chhattisgarh as the ultras are observing "martyrs" week starting on Sunday.
"Security has been beefed up in the forest interiors of all seven districts of Bastar division -- Dantewada, Bijapur, Bastar, Narayanpur, Kondagaon, Sukma and Kanker -- as the Maoists are observing martyrs` week from July 28 to August 3," a senior police official said on the conditions of anonymity.
"Combing operations have been intensified in the border areas, though security has always been maintained at top level in the entire Bastar, which is considered as a stronghold of ultras," the official added.
According to police, cultural programs, meetings and recruitment drives are undertaken by the Maoists during the week, meant to commemorate the cadres killed by security forces.
So far, no untoward incident has been reported. However, Naxal pamphlets and posters were seen at some places in Bijapur district, appealing the cadres and the people to observe the martyrs` week, the official said.
The Railways are not running the Visakhapatnam-Kirandul train beyond Jagdalpur during the week, fearing Naxal attacks, forcing commuters to travel by bus from Jagdalpur to Kirandul.
"The passenger train will not go beyond Jagdalpur while goods rain will be run only during daytime," a railway official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof