`Security picket` on board trains now
New Delhi: Wondering where to find security personnel on board the trains in case of an emergency?
This issue has been addressed now with the Railways deciding to earmark berth no 71 in coach S-1 in all the trains having security escort, which will act as a sort of security picket.
The idea of having a dedicated berth for the security personnel is to help passengers to locate them easily in case of some emergency, a railway official said.
However, this will not apply to trains which are devoid of sleepers, like Shatabdi and Rajdhani.
There are total 3475 trains which are provided with the escort of Railway Protection Force (RFP) and Government Railway Police (GRP) ensure security for passengers.
These trains include those which are prone to various kinds of crime and pass through naxal-affected areas or face threat of attack.
Most of the night trains passing through naxal-infested Jungle Mahal area in West Bengal have RPF/GRP escort.
"Certain trains which are highly vulnerable, get as many as 18 security personnel as escort during the journey. Otherwise four to five security personnel are deployed in a train," the official said.
Besides Naxal threat, some trains also get scecurity escort which are identifies as vulnerable for cases of drugging, robberies and molestation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'