Security scenario critical, says Antony
New Delhi: Describing the security scenario
in the country as "critical", Defence Minister A K Antony
Wednesday said more high profile indigenous defence equipment were
"The security situation in the country is critical as we
are surrounded by hostile countries. Therefore, we need
defence equipment urgently," he said in the Rajya Sabha.
Antony said during Question Hour that the government was
encouraging DRDO scientists as well as other agencies to
develop high profile indigenous defence equipment.
Currently India manufactures 30 per cent of such equipment
and depends on imports for the rest, he said adding the
government wanted to become self-sufficient in defence
"India has faced sanctions on many occasions, but these
have only increased our will power. Indian scientists have
produced several critical equipment overcoming sanctions,"
"The transfer of technology (ToT) clause in the contract
for procuring equipment is compulsory as we don`t want to
remain just a buyer. We are preparing a strong defence base
and within a reasonable time, India will be able to produce
indigenous equipment. DRDO and other agencies are doing their
best, though we cannot expect miracles," Antony said.
The minister said that to encourage production of
indigenous equipment, the government has allowed 26 per cent
FDI in the defence sector and 100 per cent participation of
private entities in defence production. Earlier only PSUs were
allowed to participate in defence production.
Antony said the Defence Procurement Procedure provides for
manufacturing of modern equipment in the country and
encouraging Indian industries to participate in manufacturing
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city