Security situation in Northeast `complex`: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday described the security situation in the Northeast as "complex" since insurgency, extortion and agitations continue to exist in the region.
"The security situation in the northeast continues to be complex, with insurgency, extortion and agitations being the main disruptive elements in the hands of the insurgents," he said in his address at the conference of Chief Ministers on internal security.
Singh, however, said there has been considerable progress in dialogue with several insurgent and ethnic separatist groups in the northeastern region.
"A memorandum of understanding has been signed with both factions of Dima Halam Daogah of Dima Hasao in Assam. Three Metei insurgent groups have signed a memorandum of understanding in February 2013. Talks with the National Socialist Council of Nagaland are continuing," he said.
The Prime Minister said the central government was committed to undertaking and bringing to a satisfactory conclusion dialogue with all groups and organisations which are willing to give up violence to seek solutions within the framework of our Constitution.
"We are equally firm in our determination to continue assisting the states of the northeast to enhance their law and order enforcement capabilities, so that the people of the northeast enjoy the normal fruits of democracy and development," he said.
Singh said the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) has been set up as an autonomous body in August 2012 to administer the Gorkhaland region and ensure its all-round development.
"The Centre is committed to providing financial assistance of Rs 200 crore per annum for three years for projects aimed at developing the socio-economic infrastructure in the GTA areas," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP