Security tightened across Mumbai in wake of Bal Thackeray`s funeral
Mumbai: Tens of thousands of supporters of former Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray are teeming into Mumbai to attend his funeral to be held later on Sunday evening.
The funeral procession will leave Thackeray’s Bandra home, ``Matoshree``, at around 9.30 a.m.
A truck will carry his body to Mahim Causeway, then to Sena Bhavan, the Shiv Sena headquarters in Dadar, where Thackeray’s fans and friends, prominent leaders as also Sena workers are expected to gather to pay their last respects.
Thereafter, according to television channel reports, the cortege will be taken to the Meena Tai statue in Dadar and finally to Shivaji Park, the place from where Thackeray launched the Shiv Sena during a massive Dussehra rally in 1966.
Thackeray’s body will be kept in state at the Shivaji Park till 5 p.m. for people to pay their respects and his last rites will be performed at 6 p.m.
Security has been tightened across Maharashtra to prevent any untoward incident that arise as news of Thackeray’s death filters through.
In Mumbai, 48,000 security personnel have been roped in to maintain a tight vigil during the day of the funeral.
At Matoshree, presently, there is a three-tier security that includes the Mumbai Police in the first layer, the Rapid Action Force (RAF) in the second and Shiv Sena volunteers in the third.
Most forms of public transport in the city have been ordered off the roads for the day, but buses have been commandeered to ferry people wishing to pay homage to their iconic leader.
Thackeray died late on Saturday afternoon after a prolonged illness. He was 86.
Till late in the night, there was a crowd of about 6,000 people at Matoshree.
About 2,000 cops have been posted there.
During the funeral procession, 25 policemen will be deployed at every 100 metres along the route.
The police has issued a traffic advisory and suggested that people stay home, unless absolutely necessary.
With ANI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read