Security to be strengthened at National Museum
New Delhi: To prevent incidents of theft at the National Museum, the government has decided to beef up security at the premier institute by installing X-ray scanners, CCTV cameras and door frame metal detectors.
The government has shortlisted bidders for installing the equipment at the National Museum and is waiting for financial concurrence from the department concerned.
The entire premises of National Museum, including galleries and stores, will come under CCTV coverage and X-ray scanning of baggage will also be done once the systems are put in place, the government told a Department-related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Culture.
The government`s reply came in response to observations by the Committee in its report last year that it was concerned about the security of museums and wanted the government to make use of the best technology available to safeguard them.
To the committee`s observations that most of the galleries were closed, the government said they were initially closed for reasons like renovation, to mount exhibition or to deal with water seepage from roof.
"70 per cent renovation work has been completed at the Tanjavur Gallery and it is expected to be reopened in the first quarter of 2012," the government said in its reply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?
- First Haj flight from Uttar Pradesh to take off on August 10