Seems BJP not happy with Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar: Shakeel Ahmad
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
New Delhi: Congress leader Shakeel Ahmad said on Sunday that it seemed that the BJP was not happy by the UPA government`s decision to confer the highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna, to batting legend Sachin Tendulkar.
Ahmad posted on the micro-blogging site Twitter – "Demand for Bharat Ratna to Mr Vajpayee just after the announcement of Tendulkar`s name shows that BJP is not happy with the govt`s decision."
The government announced yesterday that the highest civilian award would be given to Sachin and scientist CNR Rao. Tendulkar retired from international cricket yesterday after playing in his 200th Test in his home ground in Mumbai. He had made his debut in 1989 and his international career spanned 24 years.
The BJP today questioned the government as to why the Bharat Ratna had not been awarded to former PM of India, Atal Bihari Vajpayee. While congratulating both Sachin and Rao, BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters that their leader Vajpayee was the most popular PM and had contributed in the formation of Chhattisgarh.
The deputy chairperson of the Rajya Sabha also questioned as to why the first Home Minister of India, Sardar Patel, was given the Bharat Ratna after more than forty years.
Prasad added that if the BJP comes to power after the next Lok Sabha polls in 2014, they would honour Vajpayee with the highest civilian honour, which he deserved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan