Seems BJP not happy with Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar: Shakeel Ahmad
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
New Delhi: Congress leader Shakeel Ahmad said on Sunday that it seemed that the BJP was not happy by the UPA government`s decision to confer the highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna, to batting legend Sachin Tendulkar.
Ahmad posted on the micro-blogging site Twitter – "Demand for Bharat Ratna to Mr Vajpayee just after the announcement of Tendulkar`s name shows that BJP is not happy with the govt`s decision."
The government announced yesterday that the highest civilian award would be given to Sachin and scientist CNR Rao. Tendulkar retired from international cricket yesterday after playing in his 200th Test in his home ground in Mumbai. He had made his debut in 1989 and his international career spanned 24 years.
The BJP today questioned the government as to why the Bharat Ratna had not been awarded to former PM of India, Atal Bihari Vajpayee. While congratulating both Sachin and Rao, BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters that their leader Vajpayee was the most popular PM and had contributed in the formation of Chhattisgarh.
The deputy chairperson of the Rajya Sabha also questioned as to why the first Home Minister of India, Sardar Patel, was given the Bharat Ratna after more than forty years.
Prasad added that if the BJP comes to power after the next Lok Sabha polls in 2014, they would honour Vajpayee with the highest civilian honour, which he deserved.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput get holiday vibes! See inside
- Priyanka Chopra's dinner date with 'Baywatch' cast! View in pic
- Updated WhatsApp with 'call back', voice mail, video calling features coming soon!
- Ancient Hindu temple reopens after 27 years in Srinagar, Kashmiri Pandits jubilant
- AgustaWestland yet to return entire down payment made by India for VVIP choppers: Report