Self-regulation is no regulation: Katju
New Delhi: "Self regulation" as practised by the electronic media is a "ploy" to escape accountability, Press Council of India (PCI) chairperson Markandey Katju on Wednesday claimed and favoured bringing them under the ambit of the media watchdog.
"Everybody is accountable to people but media people say we should not be accountable. We will practice self regulation.... Self regulation is no regulation. It is an oxymoron. It is a deliberate ploy so that there is no regulation," he said.
Katju was speaking at a conference organised at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication here.
The PCI chief said that he had proposed that the Press Council should be expanded to include 20 representatives of the electronic media industry and the body be named as Media Council and wondered what objection people had to this suggestion.
He said that the media often did not highlight the real issues like poverty and malnutrition that the country is facing.
Katju said that the media created a hype around certain events like the Anna Hazare anti corruption protests which often did not reach any conclusion.
Katju said that he was the person who had strongly taken up the cause of freedom of expression on several occasions. He said but he is criticised when he says that freedom is coupled with responsibility.
He said that paid news and other evils were widespread yet it was being ignored.
Katju said that he wanted regulation and not control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city