Self-regulation is no regulation: Katju
New Delhi: "Self regulation" as practised by the electronic media is a "ploy" to escape accountability, Press Council of India (PCI) chairperson Markandey Katju on Wednesday claimed and favoured bringing them under the ambit of the media watchdog.
"Everybody is accountable to people but media people say we should not be accountable. We will practice self regulation.... Self regulation is no regulation. It is an oxymoron. It is a deliberate ploy so that there is no regulation," he said.
Katju was speaking at a conference organised at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication here.
The PCI chief said that he had proposed that the Press Council should be expanded to include 20 representatives of the electronic media industry and the body be named as Media Council and wondered what objection people had to this suggestion.
He said that the media often did not highlight the real issues like poverty and malnutrition that the country is facing.
Katju said that the media created a hype around certain events like the Anna Hazare anti corruption protests which often did not reach any conclusion.
Katju said that he was the person who had strongly taken up the cause of freedom of expression on several occasions. He said but he is criticised when he says that freedom is coupled with responsibility.
He said that paid news and other evils were widespread yet it was being ignored.
Katju said that he wanted regulation and not control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’