Send Sarabjit Singh to third country for treatment: India to Pak
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Indian government on Wednesday appealed to the Pakistani authorities to release death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh immediately and send him to a third country for treatment if they are unwilling to send him to India.
Earlier in the day, the distraught family of Sarabjit asked the government to ensure better treatment and pressed for his return to India.
Sarabjit was declared “clinically dead” by Pakistani doctors on Wednesday.
"We are concerned at the condition of Shri Sarabjit Singh indicated by reports made available by doctors treating him in Jinnah Hospital," said a statement issued here by the External Affairs Ministry.
"Our High Commissioner has met the Pakistan Foreign Secretary and urged the Government of Pakistan to immediately release Shri Sarabjit Singh on humanitarian and sympathetic grounds so that he can benefit from the best available treatment in India," it said.
"Alternatively we have also proposed that Shri Sarabjit Singh should be sent to a third country for proper medical treatment," the statement added.
"This is not the time for invoking legal and bureaucratic reasons for not taking the right steps to save a human life. We believe that every endeavour should be made to save his life," the statement said.
As per Pakistan’s official version, Sarabjit was attacked with bricks and iron rods by two fellow inmates - Amir Tanba and Mudasir - in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat jail on Friday afternoon when he was brought outside his cell for a routine break.
However, his family alleged that Pakistan is lying. They said that they have come to know from sources that a gang of six men had attacked Sarabjit. Two were jail inmates while the other four were let in by jail authorities for the purpose.
(With IANS Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy