Senior cop suggested removal of NSG from 26/11 ops: Gafoor
Mumbai: Former Mumbai police commissioner Hasan Gafoor has made a startling revelation by claiming a top Maharashtra police officer had asked him to withdraw the National Security Guards (NSG) during the 26/11 attacks as they were consuming too much time in winding up the operations.
Speaking to the media on Friday, Gafoor — who came under lot of criticism for his handling of the operations during 26/11, and was later shunted out and made DGP (Housing) — revealed that the then state deputy home minister RR Patil held a meeting with top police officers, including the DGP, at the state police headquarters on November 28.
The DGP suggested that NSG commandos be withdrawn from operations as they were taking a lot of time and the police must step in, Gafoor revealed.
"I was told to withdraw the NSG and instead use the Mumbai police for the ongoing operations. The DGP told me that the entire world was watching us and so we should put an immediate end to the siege and help defuse the crisis. This sounded ridiculous, as the NSG is an elite force that can tackle such crisis situation. I said it was even preposterous to even think of taking off the NSG," he added.
Lauding the NSG for doing a "great job" in eliminating the terrorists, the former Mumbai police commissioner said "without them it would not have been possible to even map the terrorists` movement inside those built-up areas, let alone take them head on and overpower them ultimately."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why