Senior journalist Vinod Sharma appointed member NMC
New Delhi: Senior journalist Vinod Sharma
has been appointed as member of National Minority Commission.
Sharma, Political Editor of Hindustan Times, who has a
three-decade long career in journalism, will replace veteran
journalist Dilip Padgaonkar whose term expired a few months
back. He will be the sixth member of the Commission.
The body has one member each from the five notified
minority communities, while government appoints the sixth
member purely at its discretion.
Commenting on the appointment, Minority Affairs
Minister Salman Khurshid said that Sharma`s joining the
Commission will enrich its working.
"I am hopeful that being a person from media, he will
bring with him his vast experience of objectivity which will
give a fillip to the Commission`s work for minorities,"
The Commission is also likely to get a new chief next
month as the term incumbent Chairman Md. Shafi Qureshi comes
to an end September 2.
Currently, apart from Qureshi, the other Commission
members are H T Sangliana (Vice Chairperson), Spalzes Angmo,
Harvendra Singh Hanspal and Syeda Bilgrami Imam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH