Senior leaders meet Narendra Modi; Nadda likely to replace Rajnath Singh as BJP chief
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Amidst hectic parleys over the Cabinet formation, several senior BJP leaders on Saturday met Prime Minister-elect Narendra Modi and party chief Rajnath Singh.
The new NDA government will take charge on Monday.
BJP general secretary Jagat Prakash Nadda, Amit Shah, senior leader Uma Bharti met Modi at Gujarat Bhawan here in Chanakyapuri.
Nadda has emerged as favourite to assume the post of BJP chief if incumbent Rajnath Singh joins the Modi government, a report has said. A Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) central leader said Nadda, the Rajya Sabha MP from Himachal Pradesh, is known for his close proximity to Amit Shah, another party general secretary and a close confidante of Modi, and former party president Nitin Gadkari.
"Nadda is emerging as the best choice as he suits both the party top leadership and the RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh)," a senior party leader told a news agency today in Shimla.
Shah later met Rajnath Singh.
Senior party leader and former party chief M Venkaiah Naidu reached Gujarat Bhawan a little later.
Uma Bharti, who won from Jhansi Lok Sabha seat, also met Modi.
Republican Party of India (RPI) chief Ramdas Athawale also met Modi. He has already gone on record hoping to get a berth in the Modi Cabinet.
There was a steady stream of visitors at Rajnath Singh`s Ashoka Road residence also.
Prominent among those who met the BJP chief were party MPs Maneka Gandhi and Udit Raj and senior Delhi unit leader and Rajya Sabha member Vijay Goel. Former Union minister in the NDA government ID Swamy also met Singh.
BJP general secretary Ram Lal also met the party chief.
Meanwhile, Telugu Desam Party president N Chandrababu Naidu also met Singh in Delhi today. He is scheduled to meet Modi and other top BJP leaders on Sunday to decide on the Union Cabinet berths for his party MPs.
Preparations for formation of government have gained momentum with top BJP leaders engaged in a series of confabulations ahead of Modi`s swearing-in on Monday.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj