Sentencing in Sukna land scam today
Shillong: Lt Gen PK Rath, a former 33 Corps Commander who was on Friday convicted in the Sukna land scam in West Bengal, is expected to be sentenced on Saturday.
This is the first conviction of a serving three-star General by an Army court. The Sukna land scam in West Bengal had come to light in 2008.
Rath had been charged with intent to defraud the Army by issuing a No-Objection Certificate (NOC) to a private realtor to construct an educational institution on a 70-acre plot adjacent to the military station.
Another senior general, Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash, who was the Military Secretary when General Deepak Kapoor was the Army Chief but is now retired, is also expected to soon face a court martial in the same case. The order for Prakash`s court martial was issued by Kapoor before his retirement in March 2010.
The court martial, comprising five senior Lieutenant Generals and headed by Lt Gen IP Singh, found Rath guilty on three counts.
Among the charges are intent to defraud the Army by issuing the NOC "improperly and without authority" and without "due and proper" examination of security concerns of the Army installations; signing a memorandum of understanding with the private realtor to reserve seats in the educational institution for wards of Army officers; and not informing the higher authorities about the land transfer.
The fraud charges under Section 52 of the Army Act attracts a maximum punishment of 10-year imprisonment.
The judgment was delivered by the General Court Martial after an eight-month long hearing in the case.
When the scam had come to light, the Army had ordered a Court of Inquiry, which held that Rath and Avadesh Prakash, as also Lt Gen Ramesh Halgali and Maj Gen PK Sen, were blameworthy. Halgali was Rath`s Chief of Staff at 33 Corps and Sen was the administrative head of the Sukna military station in Siliguri district of West Bengal.
The Court of Inquiry had come to the conclusion that Avadesh Prakash had influenced Rath`s decision to issue the NOC to the private realtor, identified as Dalip Aggarwal of Siliguri.
Following the probe report, Kapoor had in early 2010 ordered minor administrative action as punishment to the officers, which was overruled by Defence Minister AK Antony.
Subsequently, Kapoor had to order courts martial against Rath and Avadesh Prakash, who had retired in January 2010.
That apart, the government also put on hold Rath`s appointment as the deputy chief of the Army.
Halgali was let-off with administrative action as he was the whisleblower in the case and had brought the issue to the notice of the Army higher-ups.
Sen faced administrative action, as his role in the entire episode was found to be minor in nature.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared