Sentencing of KS Brar`s attackers put off
London: The sentencing of three Sikhs convicted of carrying out a life-threatening attack on Lt Gen (retired) KS Brar was postponed to next month by a British court on Thursday.
The three pro-Khalistan supporters had tried to slash the throat of the officer who had led Operation Blue Star in a revenge attack on the streets of London last year.
Mandeep Singh Sandhu, 34, Dilbagh Singh, 36, and Harjit Kaur, 38, were found guilty by the Southwark Crown Court in London on July 31 and were to be sentenced for the crime at the same court today.
However, the sentencing was scheduled for October 14 as part of general procedural changes in court listings.
During their trial in July, the prosecution had revealed that Kaur tracked the retired general as he holidayed in London’s West End with his wife Meena.
The prosecution told the jury there was proof that Kaur passed on the Brars` whereabouts to the attackers on the day of the assault in September 2012.
Sandhu and Singh had carried out the attack. All three had been charged with wounding the 78-year-old general with intent.
Brar, who gave evidence via a video link from India, said that one website had declared him the "number one enemy of the Sikhs".
He said he had received a threat that read: "There have been seven attempts on his life which have not succeeded, but the eighth one will."
Brar was not protected on his trip to London, which he said was a private holiday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video