Separate lock-ups, prisons needed for transgenders: Court
New Delhi: A Delhi court has stressed on the need for separate lock-ups, prisons and other provisions for transgenders, who have been declared as "third gender", saying they have full legal rights and "cannot be shuttled between man and woman depending upon convenience".
The court cited the Supreme Court`s recent landmark verdict by which it has declared transgenders/eunuchs as a "third gender" and said it was time for the criminal justice system to effectively recognise them as such and create separate lock-ups, prisons, toilets for them when they are on the wrong side of the law.
It also said that it is time to arrive at a consensus to suitably amend the rules relating to prisons and lock-ups in this regard.
"It, therefore, becomes equally important that when they are on the wrong side of law or commit violation of existing statutory law of the land, they be proceeded against and punished in accordance with law just as any other `Person` whether a `Man` or a `Woman` after ensuring that their human and constitutional rights are in no manner compromised.
"Provisions for creating separate lock-ups/ prisons and making separate provisions for the transgenders/ eunuchs has been necessitated as they have full legal rights and cannot be shuttled between man and woman depending upon convenience and denying any effective legal status to them is violative of human rights," Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau said.
The court passed the order in a case in which a man was beaten by several persons, including two eunuchs, when he objected to their nude dance in public in a residential area under the influence of alcohol as they were attracting adverse public attention with large number of men jeering and cheering them in November 2012 in Begumpur in north west Delhi.
When victim Raju Chauhan`s pregnant wife Savita came out to save him, several men and eunuchs also beat her up leading to her abortion, it said.
The court, however, sentenced three men--Bunty, Vijay and Vimal--to three years rigorous imprisonment for causing miscarriage of the woman and also imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 each on them which would be given as compensation to Savita.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India