`Separating kids from parents unjustified`
New Delhi: Issuing a strong demarche to Norway, the second in nearly a week, India has said that its
actions of separating two children from an NRI couple was unjustified.
The government emphasised that the children be allowed to
return to India so that they can be brought up in familiar
surroundings under the loving care of their extended family.
The Ministry of External Affairs yesterday issued "strong"
demarches to the Norwegian embassy here voicing concern that
the circumstances prevailing in this case may not justify an
extreme step like long-term separation from natural parents.
Anurup and Sagarika Bhattacharya`s children Abhigyan (3)
and Aishwarya (1) were taken under protective care by
Barnevarne (Norwegian Child Welfare Services), which claimed
emotional disconnect with the parents, and placed them in
foster parental care according to the local Norwegian court`s
directive. The couple has appealed against the court decision.
"Further, the Government is concerned that there may have
been insufficient regard paid to the undoubted benefits of
bringing up the children in their own ethnic, religious
cultural and linguistic milieu while putting them in foster
care," an External Affairs Ministry statement said here.
It said the government reiterated that return of the
children to India so that they can be brought up in familiar
surroundings under the loving care of their extended family
would be in their best long-term interests.
This is the second demarche issued by India to Norway in
the last eight days.
The Norwegian authorities have expressed understanding for
the government`s concerns. The matter will continue to be
pursued with them actively, the Ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling