`Separating kids from parents unjustified`
New Delhi: Issuing a strong demarche to Norway, the second in nearly a week, India has said that its
actions of separating two children from an NRI couple was unjustified.
The government emphasised that the children be allowed to
return to India so that they can be brought up in familiar
surroundings under the loving care of their extended family.
The Ministry of External Affairs yesterday issued "strong"
demarches to the Norwegian embassy here voicing concern that
the circumstances prevailing in this case may not justify an
extreme step like long-term separation from natural parents.
Anurup and Sagarika Bhattacharya`s children Abhigyan (3)
and Aishwarya (1) were taken under protective care by
Barnevarne (Norwegian Child Welfare Services), which claimed
emotional disconnect with the parents, and placed them in
foster parental care according to the local Norwegian court`s
directive. The couple has appealed against the court decision.
"Further, the Government is concerned that there may have
been insufficient regard paid to the undoubted benefits of
bringing up the children in their own ethnic, religious
cultural and linguistic milieu while putting them in foster
care," an External Affairs Ministry statement said here.
It said the government reiterated that return of the
children to India so that they can be brought up in familiar
surroundings under the loving care of their extended family
would be in their best long-term interests.
This is the second demarche issued by India to Norway in
the last eight days.
The Norwegian authorities have expressed understanding for
the government`s concerns. The matter will continue to be
pursued with them actively, the Ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now