Separatist Yasin Malik flown back to Srinagar
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Kashmiri separatist leader Yasin Malik, who was on Thursday night taken into preventive custody by Delhi Police, was flown back to Srinagar on Friday morning.
Malik was to begin a 48-hour hunger strike in the national capital to press the government to hand over the body of Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru to his family.
The Delhi Police had earlier denied permission to Malik to hold his protest.
"Yes," said Commissioner Neeraj Kumar when asked by reporters whether any decision was taken to deny permission for the protest at Jantar Mantar starting on Friday.
The decision to take Malik in preventive custody was taken after security agencies submitted a report to the Union Home Ministry that giving permission to the separatist leader to hold protest in Delhi may create law and order problem.
The report also pointed to Malik’s involvement in "anti-national" activities in the past, as per sources.
The JKLF leader had shared dais with Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) founder and the country’s most wanted terror mastermind Hafiz Saeed when he had staged a protest in Islamabad against the hanging of Guru.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves