Sepoy Karam Chand cremated 48 years after his death
Palampur: Mortal remains of sepoy
Karam Chand of 4 Dogras who died while fighting Chinese
aggressors in Arunachal Pradesh in 1962 were consigned to
flames with full military honours in his native village near
here this morning.
Touching scenes were witnessed at the cremation ground
as family members had all along been thinking that Chand had
been made a Prisoner of War but little did they know that his
body would come back after 48 years.
The martyr`s body was spotted under a debris by a
detachment of Border Roads Organisation (BRO) in Walong area
on July 1 and his identity tag and papers were found along
with the weapon, which were intact.
Commanding Officer of 4 Dogras Col S K Singh contacted
Chand`s family in Agojar, about 14 km from here, and his
nephew Jaswant Singh showed eagerness to receive the body and
perform the last rites in the native village.
Chand and many other soldiers went missing after the
Battle of Walong in Arunachal Pradesh`s Lohit district during
the Sino-India war. Chinese troops had attacked the post at
Walong on October 25, 1962, but the Indian troops fought them
for 22 days despite meagre resources.
Hundreds of people including a large number of ex-
servicemen who were part of 4 Dogras which fought the Chinese
in Arunachal Pradesh in 1962 paid their homage to the departed
After the customary rituals, the mortal remains
draped with the national flag were taken to the village
cremation grounds where senior army officers including Lt.
Gen. Jasbir Singh Chief of Staff, Northen Command, who is also
the Colonel Commandant of Dogra regiment, GOC of 39 Mountain
Division were present.
Jaswant Singh, nephew of the deceased, lit the pyre as
Chand was a bachelor and the soldier`s parents have died.
Jaswant said it was a matter of great satisfaction
that he was able perform the last rites of his uncle but had
his body been traced earlier, his parents, who were always
inquiring about him, would have got some solace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened