‘Serious lapse but won’t affect Delhi gang-rape case`
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) chairperson Mamata Sharma on Monday demanded a thorough probe by competent authorities to ascertain what pushed Ram Singh, one of the key accused in the December 16 Delhi gang-rape case, to commit suicide in his cell.
“Suicide in a high security jail like Tihat is a mater of serious security lapse. The authorities must conduct a thorough probe to ascertain what led Ram Singh to tale such extreme step.”
However, the NCW chief said, “Ram Singh’s suicide will not affect the ongoing trial in the December 16 Delhi gang-rape case.”
Meanwhile, former NCW chairperson Pornima Advani holds a different opinion on Ram Singh’s suicide, which, she says, has added a new twist to the case.
“Ram Singh’s suicide will surely affect the trial in the Delhi gang-rape case,” Pornima Advani said, adding, “Suicide in a high profile jail is a serious lapse on part of Tihar Jail administration.” .
In her reaction to the development, former Tihar DG Kiran Bedi said, “I am not surprised by the suicide by Ram Singh since accused in heinous crimes are often isolated and umiliated.”
In what has come as a huge embarrassment for the Tihar jail administration, Ram Singh committed suicide at Tihar Jail in the wee hours today.
He was lodged in the cell no 3 and was also on suicide watch.
His body was later taken to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital in the capital for post-mortem.
Ram Singh was the driver of the bus in which six men inflicted horrific assault on 23-year-old student Amanat (Not her real name) in Delhi.
Besides Ram Singh, his brother Mukesh and three other men are being tried in the case. The sixth accused is a minor and is being tried separately by the Juvenile Justice Board.
Tihar Jail officials said the five men at Tihar were lodged in isolated cells after other inmates taunted them and also tried to attack them. They were also under a "suicide watch".
The men are accused of gang-raping and brutally assaulting the student on December 16 last year and then throwing her out of the bus along with a man she was with that evening. The incident sparked outrage in the country and people took to the streets to demand the most stringent punishment for the accused.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India