‘Set up fast-track courts for cases against elected reps’
Bhubaneswar: BJD leader Baijayant Panda has sought immediate steps to fast-track cases of crime against women and those involving criminal charges against elected representatives for which number of judges must be increased and infrastructure strengthened.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the Lok Sabha member from Kendrapara in Odidha sought to highlight the deep rooted flaws in the system that have been brought into focus after the incident of gangrape leading to the death of a young woman in Delhi.
Panda said the incident brought to light the regressive attitudes in society, the efficacy of the police and the over-worked judiciary.
In his letter, Panda highlighted the crisis facing the judiciary and said judges per million population in India stands at 13, compared to 100 in developed countries. Despite the Law Commission’s recommendation in 1987 to raise it immediately to 50, and to 100 by the year 2000, it still remains abysmally low, he said.
Owing to this, more than 30 million cases remain pending at all levels of judiciary,’about 3 million of them for over a decade, Panda said, adding the system of fast-track courts that was first set up based on the recommendations of the 11th Finance Commission worked efficiently and disposed of 85 per cent of the cases assigned to them.
However, despite their success the Centre withdrew its support to the scheme and left it to the limited resources of state governments. Given shortage of funds with states, most courts were discontinued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM