Set up independent probe on Bhopal, GoM will not do: CPI(M)
New Delhi: The CPI(M) Saturday sought a
comprehensive and independent inquiry into all aspects of the
Bhopal gas tragedy, saying a Group of Ministers will not be
able to probe the "failure" of state agencies, judiciary and
other authorities in the matter.
"There has been connivance between the then governments,
both at the central and the state levels. The 26 years of
history of Bhopal shows the failure of the state agencies, the
judiciary and various authorities in seeing that justice is
"Therefore it is time that there is a comprehensive
inquiry into how this happened. This cannot be done by a Group
of Ministers. It has to be done independently," CPI(M) general
secretary Prakash Karat told reporters here.
Asked what kind of independent probe he was seeking, he
said his party was in discussion with concerned groups on the
issue and would come out with suggestions later.
Two days after the court verdict in the Bhopal gas case,
the government had on June 9 set up a 10-member GoM, headed by
Home Minister P Chidambaram, to look into relief and
rehabilitation of the victims of the world`s worst industrial
Referring to the Nuclear Liability Bill introduced in
Parliament in the Budget Session, Karat reiterated the Left
parties` demand that it should be scrapped immediately.
"This Bill must be scrapped forthwith because what it
will do is to legalise exemption of all liability for foreign
suppliers," the CPI(M) leader said.
The GoM has been tasked to examine all issues relating to
Bhopal gas leakage including remedial measures and make
appropriate recommendations relating to the relief and
rehabilitation of the victims of the tragedy and their
Nearly 26 years after the disaster left over 15,000 dead,
former Union Carbide India chairman Keshub Mahindra and six
others were sentenced to two years imprisonment by a Bhopal
court on June 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'