Set up independent probe on Bhopal, GoM will not do: CPI(M)
New Delhi: The CPI(M) Saturday sought a
comprehensive and independent inquiry into all aspects of the
Bhopal gas tragedy, saying a Group of Ministers will not be
able to probe the "failure" of state agencies, judiciary and
other authorities in the matter.
"There has been connivance between the then governments,
both at the central and the state levels. The 26 years of
history of Bhopal shows the failure of the state agencies, the
judiciary and various authorities in seeing that justice is
"Therefore it is time that there is a comprehensive
inquiry into how this happened. This cannot be done by a Group
of Ministers. It has to be done independently," CPI(M) general
secretary Prakash Karat told reporters here.
Asked what kind of independent probe he was seeking, he
said his party was in discussion with concerned groups on the
issue and would come out with suggestions later.
Two days after the court verdict in the Bhopal gas case,
the government had on June 9 set up a 10-member GoM, headed by
Home Minister P Chidambaram, to look into relief and
rehabilitation of the victims of the world`s worst industrial
Referring to the Nuclear Liability Bill introduced in
Parliament in the Budget Session, Karat reiterated the Left
parties` demand that it should be scrapped immediately.
"This Bill must be scrapped forthwith because what it
will do is to legalise exemption of all liability for foreign
suppliers," the CPI(M) leader said.
The GoM has been tasked to examine all issues relating to
Bhopal gas leakage including remedial measures and make
appropriate recommendations relating to the relief and
rehabilitation of the victims of the tragedy and their
Nearly 26 years after the disaster left over 15,000 dead,
former Union Carbide India chairman Keshub Mahindra and six
others were sentenced to two years imprisonment by a Bhopal
court on June 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway