‘Set up regional monitoring group on talks with Taliban’
New Delhi: With troops drawdown in Afghanistan to accelerate in next few months, an eminent think-tank has recommended setting up of a regional monitoring group on talks with the Taliban under "the reconciliation process".
Delhi Policy Group (DPG), in its report `Afghanistan 2012: Looking to the Future`, which will be released by External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on April 8, has also recommended getting guarantees from the Taliban that no other country will be attacked from or on Afghan soil.
"Will Afghanistan continue on its path of peace and stabilisation in 2014 and beyond, or will it again become a sanctuary for militants attacking countries like India, China, Russia, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, to name but a few? What do neighbours need to do to help Afghanistan prevent the latter case?
"In what ways should the international community work with the region to ensure stabilisation and prosperity? These and other questions have been addressed by the Delhi Policy Group`s new report," a press release said here today.
It has also recommended fast tracking connectivity between Central and South Asia and reviving and promoting ancient trade and knowledge routes.
The NATO combat forces are scheduled to leave the war- torn country and the Afghan forces will then take the lead in securing the entire country by the end of 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened