Setback for Advani: Suresh Soni will continue as liaison man in BJP, says RSS
New Delhi: RSS on Friday said its liaison man in BJP Suresh Soni will continue to hold the job, in what is seen as a setback for senior BJP leader L K Advani who was unhappy with his functioning and had sought his removal.
The RSS and sources in the BJP said there are no plans for removing Soni from the post of coordinator between the two organisations and neither is there any likelihood of any other RSS leader being appointed to share the responsibility.
"No truth in the story about Shri Suresh Soniji being sidelined. He continues to be the Sangh`s contact person for BJP. No change," RSS leader Ram Madhav said on Twitter.
Advani was reportedly unhappy with Soni as he had strongly backed Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the last few months and was instrumental in his elevation as head of the BJP Election Campaign Committee.
Soni, who is a Joint General Secretary in the RSS, will not be sidelined as the Sangh founthead does not want to bring any changes in the current set-up as elections to five states and the Lok Sabha polls are due in a few months.
RSS is keen on more and frequent interaction with the BJP in poll-bound Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Delhi as well as the other states.
RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat and general secretary Suresh Bhaiyyaji Joshi have begun taking a more active interest in BJP affairs and this trend will continue, sources said.
Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and BJP President Rajnath Singh had visited Nagpur at the beginning of July to discuss party issues.
Bhagwat had also intervened when Advani quit in protest against Modi`s elevation and asked him to take back his resignation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez