Setback for Shiv Sena in Shivaji Park row; HC stays work
Mumbai: In a setback for Shiv Sena, the
Bombay High Court on Wednesday stayed the multi-crore beautification work of Shivaji Park Grounds initiated by the saffron party-controlled local civic body.
Construction of a mural -- depicting coronation of
Marath king Shivaji -- on the park, too, have been stayed, in
response to a PIL which alleges that contracts were awarded
without inviting tenders. The sprawling park in Central Mumbai
is the venue of Sena`s annual Dussehra rally.
The Sena, which rules the Municipal Corporation of
Greater Mumbai (MCGM) in alliance with BJP, conceived the
beautification project, which is being bitterly opposed by Raj
Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
Dadar, where the park is located, was once a Sena
bastion, but in the last Assembly election, MNS candidate won
from this constituency.
The PIL by local residents Durgesh Warty and Manoj
Govekar alleges contracts for beautification and construction
of mural were awarded to Valsons and Karan Builders and Ana
Associates respectively without following procedure.
No tenders were invited though the mural is going to
cost Rs 1.28 crore, while the entire beautification will cost
Rs 3.15 crore, it said. Also, no construction can be carried
out on a playground, said petitioners` counsel Girish Godbole.
A Division Bench of Justices F I Rebello and Amjed
Sayed stayed the work and sought MCGM reply by May 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune