Setback for Shiv Sena in Shivaji Park row; HC stays work
Mumbai: In a setback for Shiv Sena, the
Bombay High Court on Wednesday stayed the multi-crore beautification work of Shivaji Park Grounds initiated by the saffron party-controlled local civic body.
Construction of a mural -- depicting coronation of
Marath king Shivaji -- on the park, too, have been stayed, in
response to a PIL which alleges that contracts were awarded
without inviting tenders. The sprawling park in Central Mumbai
is the venue of Sena`s annual Dussehra rally.
The Sena, which rules the Municipal Corporation of
Greater Mumbai (MCGM) in alliance with BJP, conceived the
beautification project, which is being bitterly opposed by Raj
Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
Dadar, where the park is located, was once a Sena
bastion, but in the last Assembly election, MNS candidate won
from this constituency.
The PIL by local residents Durgesh Warty and Manoj
Govekar alleges contracts for beautification and construction
of mural were awarded to Valsons and Karan Builders and Ana
Associates respectively without following procedure.
No tenders were invited though the mural is going to
cost Rs 1.28 crore, while the entire beautification will cost
Rs 3.15 crore, it said. Also, no construction can be carried
out on a playground, said petitioners` counsel Girish Godbole.
A Division Bench of Justices F I Rebello and Amjed
Sayed stayed the work and sought MCGM reply by May 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest