‘Seven central schemes named after Gandhis’
New Delhi: As many as 7 centrally sponsored schemes (CSS) are named after either father of the nation Mahatama Gandhi or former prime ministers - Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi, Parliament was informed on Monday.
"Of the 66 CSS that have been restructured and approved in the recent past, 7 CSS are named after Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi," Statistics and Programme Implementation Minister Srikant Kumar Jena said in a written reply to Rajya Sabha.
The Minister, however, did not provide any information regarding naming of central government institutions and establishments after names of the four persons and said, "This information is not maintained centrally."
The Minister also said there are no formal guidelines for naming of schemes and institutions.
Meanwhile, Jena also informed the House in written reply that funds under the Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLAD) scheme are not released if the stipulated condition is not fulfilled.
He said an amount of Rs 525 crore was released under the MPLAD scheme to Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha members from Odisha during 2008-09 and 2013-14.
Under the MPLAD scheme, each MP has the choice to suggest to the District Collector for works to the tune of Rs 5 crore per annum to be taken up in his or her constituency.
The Member of Parliament from Rajya Sabha can recommend works in one or more districts in the state from where he or she has been elected.
The nominated MPs of both the Houses may select any one or more districts from any one state in the country for implementation of their choice of work under the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months