Seven Central universities to hold combined entrance test
New Delhi: In a significant step, seven newly-created central universities have come together to hold
a combined entrance exam from this year for admission of
students in about 25 courses being offered by them.
These institutions are central Universities of
Kashmir, Jharkhand, Bihar, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Kerala and
The combined entrance exam is the first of its kind
exercise being conducted by the central universities in the
country. At present, the IITs and IIMs are holding similar
combined entrances for admission.
"This will provide opportunity to the aspiring
students in any part of the country to apply for any of the
seven Central universities," said Prof B P Sanjay, Vice
Chancellor of Tamil Nadu Central University, which is
coordinating the entrance.
The single entrance will make the admission process
smooth for students, who otherwise have to appear in multiple
tests to get admission into the university of their choice.
These universities are among the 16 universities
created last year under a central act. Some of the
universities started offering courses from last year also.
The remaining nine universities, which are not
participating in the combined entrance, will hold their own
entrances for admission.
"They said they cannot join the combined entrance this
year," Sanjay said.
The seven universities have identified 30 centres for
conduct of the test on June 19 and 20. Each of the
universities will organise the test in their respective
However, counselling will be held by each university
on merit cum preference basis.
"We will see performance of the students in the
entrance and also consider his preference for the institute
while giving admission to a student," said Prof Abdul Wahid,
Vice Chancellor, Central University of Kashmir.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal had asked these vice
chancellors in October last year to conduct a combined
entrance exam for admission of students and design innovative
courses on the unique ecosystem of the region.
These universities have designed a number of
innovative courses which are relevant to the local areas.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India