Seven Indians on death row languishing in Dubai jail: Report
Dubai: As many as seven Indians are among
24 death row convicts who are currently languishing in Dubai`s
jail with execution yet to be carried out, a media report said.
Of the seven Indians, Paul George Nadar, now 64, who
is in Central Jail since 1985, has become the longest-serving
convict on death row in the Emirate. Like him, another Indian,
Anil Motyati Adho, 38, has been in Dubai`s prison since 1999,
the Gulf News publication `Xpress` reported.
In fact, Nadir`s case dates back to October 10, 1985,
when he got into a fight with some people of Pakistani origin.
The Indian carpenter, working for a firm, doused their shanty
walls, in which two women and seven children were killed.
The following morning Nadar was arrested. The arson
killer, as he came to be known, was charged, and subsequently
given capital punishment. But, his death sentence is yet to be
Similarly, in 1999, Anil was sentenced to death for
stalking his victim before killing him.
But, as time hangs heavy, the delayed execution has
raised hopes of a pardon for some inmates and their families.
"Definitely I regret what happened. My father will be
completing 25 years in prison this October and I hope he will
be pardoned and released," Nadar`s son Subharajan, an engineer
with a private Dubai firm, said.
Like Nadar and Anil, there are 23 others who
remain behind bars with the death sentence awarded to them yet
to be carried out.
According to prosecution records, five of these cases,
including the recent one of the child rapist and killer, are
still under appeal. However, execution in the remaining cases
has been suspended pending the Ruler`s approval, sources said.
The last execution in Dubai was that of a Yemeni in
2002 for killing his uncle. Four others were executed in the
late 1990s, including three Indians for premeditated murder
and an Arab for raping an eight-year-old girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir