Several MPs skip Pratibha Patil`s farewell function
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil`s farewell function in central hall of Parliament on Monday was a damp affair with a number of MPs skipping it.
Though the programme was short and without any unnecessary frills, the absence of several MPs from both the Treasury and the Opposition benches was a spoiler.
Several staff members were seen occupying the back benches.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar delivered the farewell address to Patil on behalf of the MPs. She described the outgoing president as one whose tenure saw the Rashtrapati Bhawan as a "symbol of dignity, grace and most importantly women`s empowerment".
"You are a role model for countless women of our country who constantly strive to better themselves and those around them," Kumar said about Patil, who is India`s first woman president.
She also praised Patil- who has served as a minister in Maharashtra government and also as a member of the Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha- for not losing any election that she contested. "This speaks volumes of your commitment to the welfare of the common man," Kumar said.
Prominent leaders and ministers attended the function. NCP Chief Sharad Pawar and his party colleague Praful Patel, who are engaged in a stand-off with the Congress these days, were present. Pawar sat in the front row next to Defence Minister A K Antony.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal sat next to Congress President Sonia Gandhi. This seat used to be earlier occupied by Pranab Mukherjee. Since Mukherjee is now the President-elect, he was conspicuous by his absence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow