Several pilgrims still stuck without relief near Kedarnath
Sonprayag: Having gone without food or water for nearly a week, scores of pilgrims are on the verge of death, while others who managed to reach Sonprayag on foot have complained that rescue operations are yet to reach those stranded between Gaurikund and Kedarnath.
Many pilgrims have already died of hunger and many are searching for the dead bodies of their kin in the jungles over Gaurikund, Bhairavchatti, Junglechatti and Garurchatti, said several pilgrims, who somehow managed to reach Sonprayag from Kedarnath on foot.
In Sonprayag, an ITBP officer said their first pedestrian rescue team has reached Gaurikund and has begun to shift pilgrims stranded in high altitudes to lower areas.
The Indian Army, ITBP and NDRF have made temporary ropeways over the merging point of Songanga and Mandakini to rescue pedestrian pilgrims coming from Kedarnath.
Commandant of NDRF`s eighth Battalion Manish Kumar who is supervising rescue operations, which started on Thursday in Sonprayag through temporary ropeways, said so far over 2500 pilgrims have been evacuated.
He said the process is taking time because the ropes have to be changed after every couple of rounds due to presence of rough rocks in the area.
Sonprayag looks like a haunted town in the wake of the tragedy. Once the Mandakini river flew here 100 metres down but now it has turned into a heap of sand and boulders, a pilgrim said.
Dozens of hotels, lodges and shops located here have turned into tons of debris lying all over the place.
The trek for Kedranath used to begin from Gaurikund which lies 5 km beyond Sonprayag, but now about 4 km long stretch between the two places has been badly damaged by the landslides triggered by the deluge.
60-year-old Gulabji Chaudhry and 45-year-old Bhanwar Singh from Ujjain (MP) were killed on Wednesday when they fell from the hills while trying to grab the food and relief material being airdropped at Mandakini-Songanga sangam in Sonprayag.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference