Sexual assault case: Asaram`s supporters go berserk, attack media, police in Raipur
Raipur: Supporters of Asaram Bapu on Sunday allegedly attacked the media persons, policemen and passers-by while staging a road blockade here to protest the arrest of the self-styled godman in a sexual assault case.
"A case has been registered against the attackers with Telibandha police station and soon they will be arrested," Additional Superintendent of Police Lal Umed Singh told PTI.
A large number of Asaram`s followers gathered at VIP square on NH-6 near his ashram in the VIP Road area here, and staged an hour long `chakka-jam` this afternoon.
They shouted slogans against the police for arresting the spiritual leader and demanded his release.
As the media persons reached the spot, the agitated supporters attacked them.
Policemen, who tried to intervene, too faced their wrath. Two policemen and three media persons sustained minor injuries, police said.
A passer-by also lodged a complaint against the protesters, alleging that when he was driving across the road, they dragged him out of his car and assaulted him.
The protesters also smashed windshields of several cars, and damaged a few motorbikes, police added.
Meanwhile, the opposition Congress condemned the incident.
"Asaaram Bapu has already engaged in misconduct and now his followers are doing the same. Stern action should be taken against the attackers," said Congress spokesperson Shushil Anand Shukla.
Asaram, accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl, was arrested by the Jodhpur Police after midnight from his ashram in Indore today and flown to Delhi. His supporters had also attacked the mediapersons at Jodhpur yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes