Sexual assault case: NCW asks Mumbai police for victim`s security; Tejpal may move court
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Sunday asked the Mumbai police to provide security to the young woman journalist who was sexually assaulted by the Tehelka magazine editor, Tarun Tejpal, in an elevator at a Goa resort.
The call for security comes after the victim alleged that she was being pressurised in the case. In a statement, she said that a person close to Tarun Tejpal had met her family and wanted to know what legal actions they were planning to take in the case.
The relative also wanted to know what the victim and her family `wanted` in return to take back the case.
The female journalist added, "This visit has placed tremendous emotional pressure on my family and I at an intensely traumatic time. I fear this may be the beginning of a period of further intimidation and harassment."
NCW member Nirmala Samant said that the Mumbai police have assured that security cover will be given if the victim approaches them.
Meanwhile, Tejpal is reportedly likely to approach High Court seeking a change in the investigating agency and transfer of the case from Goa police to a central agency.
The Goa police recorded the statements of three other Tehelka employees today who were informed about the incident by the victim after it took place. The statements of the witnesses were recorded at Goa Sadan in the national capital.
The statements corroborated with the series of events that the victim had stated, as per news reports.
The names of the three colleagues have also been mentioned in the complaint made to the magazine`s managing editor Shoma Chaudhury.
The police also questioned Chaudhury for around nine hours today. "It was a good experience. I hope to bring clarity and justice to the case," Chaudhury reportedly said.
The police team along with Delhi police officials arrived in Delhi yesterday and questioned Chaudhury at the Tehelka office premises. They scrutinised documents, including on the laptop and iPad of the managing editor and asked her to submit a written statement on the issue.
They took possession of the e-mails which were circulated between her, Tejpal, the victim and her friends as evidence, according to Goa Police sources.
Meanwhile, the victim on Saturday revealed for the first time that she was being pressurised in the case.
The victim, in her complaint to Chaudhury had said that Tejpal had sexually assaulted her twice in the elevator in a five star resort during the high-profile ThinkFest conference on November 7-8.
The victim is daughter of a former colleague of Tejpal, who has recused himself from his post as editor after being accused of sexual assault by the victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks