Sexual assault: Goa police grills Shoma, Tejpal likley to approach HC; NCW demands victim`s security
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Goa police team on Sunday returned back without contacting the Tehelka magazine editor, Tarun Tejpal, who is allegedly involved in a sexual assault case.
Tejpal is accused of sexually assaulting a junior colleague in a five-star hotel here earlier this month, an official said.
"We have not established contact with Tarun Tejpal yet," Deputy Inspector General of Police OP Mishra said at a press conference at the police headquarters here.
Meanwhile, Tehelka Managing Editor Shoma Chaudhary, who was questioned for nine hours by the Goa Police team in connection with the case has said that she "fully cooperated" with the police and hoped it will bring "clarity and justice" to the case.
"Yesterday, at the Tehelka office, the Goa Police took my deposition for about 9 hours, it was extremely courteous experience and I fully cooperated and showed every document that was relevant, every email exchange that was there between my colleagues, the management, it was shared, it was a good experience and I hope it helps bring clarity and justice to the entire case," Chaudhary said.
The National Commission for Women(NCW) had also asked the Mumbai police today to provide security to the young woman journalist who was sexually assaulted a day after the victim had alleged yesterday that she was being pressurised in the case.
In a statement, she had said yesterday that a person close to Tarun Tejpal had met her family and wanted to know what legal actions they were planning to take in the case.
The relative also wanted to know what the victim and her family `wanted` in return to take back the case.
The female journalist added, "This visit has placed tremendous emotional pressure on my family and I at an intensely traumatic time. I fear this may be the beginning of a period of further intimidation and harassment."
NCW member Nirmala Samant said that the Mumbai police have assured that security cover will be given if the victim approaches them.
Meanwhile, Tejpal is reportedly likely to approach High Court seeking a change in the investigating agency and transfer of the case from Goa police to a central agency.
The Goa police recorded the statements of three other Tehelka employees today who were informed about the incident by the victim after it took place. The statements of the witnesses were recorded at Goa Sadan in the national capital.
The statements corroborated with the series of events that the victim had stated, as per news reports.
The names of the three colleagues have also been mentioned in the complaint made to the magazine`s managing editor Shoma Chaudhary.
The police also questioned Choudhary for around nine hours today. "It was a good experience. I hope to bring clarity and justice to the case," Choudhary reportedly said.
The police team along with Delhi police officials arrived in Delhi yesterday and questioned Chaudhury at the Tehelka office premises. They scrutinised documents, including on the laptop and iPad of the managing editor and asked her to submit a written statement on the issue.
They took possession of the e-mails which were circulated between her, Tejpal, the victim and her friends as evidence, according to Goa Police sources.
Meanwhile, the victim on Saturday revealed for the first time that she was being pressurised in the case.
The victim, in her complaint to Chaudhury had said that Tejpal had sexually assaulted her twice in the elevator in the Club House section of the Grand Hyatt five star resort during the high-profile ThinkFest conference on November 7-8.
The victim is daughter of a former colleague of Tejpal, who has recused himself from his post as editor after being accused of sexual assault by the victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM