Sexual harassment case: Demands for Justice Ganguly’s ouster grow louder
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
New Delhi: Additional Solicitor General Indira Jaising has sought action against retired Supreme Court judge AK Ganguly in a letter to the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday.
While demanding the resignation of Ganguly, Chairperson of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission Indira Jaising also wrote in the letter that the person on whom there is allegation of sexual harassment cannot be allowed to occupy the position of Chairman of a Human Rights Commission without his name being honourably cleared.
Jaisingh had earlier asked to lodge an FIR in Justice Ganguly`s case.
On the other hand, Ganguly has refused to comment on demands for his removal from the post of chairman of West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) in Parliament. He further added that he has completely denied the allegations and has nothing more to say.
Besides Jaisingh, Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj has also demanded action against Ganguly and his resignation from WBHRC.
Trinamool Congress has also backed the demand for action against Ganguly. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who had chosen Justice Ganguly as the chairman of WBHRC after coming to power in 2011, has written twice to President Pranab Mukherjee seeking strong action against the former judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark