Sexual harassment case: Justice AK Ganguly mulls quitting as WBHRC chief
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Former Supreme Court Justice (retd) AK Ganguly, accused in a sexual harassment case involving a law intern, on Sunday reportedly decided to resign as West Bengal Human Rights Commission chairman.
According to reports, Ganguly has written to ex-Attorney General Soli Sorabjee, and have said the he is considering to resign from his post.
"Justice Ganguly spoke to me over telephone and said that he is thinking of resigning (as WBHRC chief)," former Attorney General Soli Sorabjee said on being asked about reports that the judge has written to him on the issue.
During the telephonic conversation, Justice Ganguly said so many things are being said about him and wanted his view. Sorabjee said he had told Justice Ganguly that it will be a "wise decision" to resign.
Meanwhile Ganguly today distanced himself from a petition moved in the Supreme Court seeking to restrain the Centre from making any attempt to remove him from the post in the wake of an allegation of sexual harassment.
"I have nothing to do with this. I don`t even know the person who has filed this petition and why. I just saw the matter in the newspapers," Ganguly, a former Supreme Court judge said.
A PIL was moved in the apex court by Delhi-based doctor M Padma Narayan Singh, which will come up for hearing before a bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam tomorrow.
The petition has also sought quashing of the report in which a three-member panel of Supreme Court judges indicted Justice Ganguly for unwelcome behaviour against the woman law intern.
The petitioner, who is a senior citizen, had alleged that Ganguly has become a victim of a conspiracy as he, as an arbitrator, had decided a matter between a prominent football club of Kolkata and the All India Football Federation (AIFF) in which the intern had also participated.
She has also named Additional Solicitor General Indira Jaising as one of the respondents in the petition, accusing her of working relentlessly to get Justice Ganguly arrested unlawfully.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation