Sexual harassment: Troubles grow for ex-SC judge Asok Kumar Ganguly
Kolkata: Troubles grew for the beleaguered former Supreme Court judge Justice Asok Ganguly with an NGO on Wednesday moving the police seeking action against him in the alleged sexual harassment of a law intern even as he denied reports of fresh allegations that have appeared in the media.
Trinamool Congress, which has been gunning for Justice Ganguly, stepped up its attack and demanded his resignation as West Bengal Human Rights Commission Chairmam as fresh reports appeared in the media over his alleged misbehaviour with the intern, a charge the judge has again denied today.
Supreme Court sources in Delhi said that the three-judge committee`s report was under consideration but refused to say anything about the details of the report.
A local NGO--Bharat Bachao Sangstan--today submitted a memorandum to the Hare Street police station demanding legal action and filing of an FIR against Ganguly, who has been accused of misbehaving and making sexual advances to a law intern in a five-star hotel in December last year.
"Necessary police action as per law, when such a serious complaint has been raised, should be taken immediately," Vineet Ruia President of NGO Bharat Bachao Sangsthan, which had recently staged a protest outside the office of the WBHRC, told reporters here.
"He, being a man of position, can influence witnesses and the process of investigation. So we think that he should immediately step down from his post of chairman of WBHRC," Ruia said.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central) DP Singh said, "We have received a letter from them (NGO)."
Justice Ganguly had denied any wrong doing and said that he was shocked and shattered by the allegation made against him by the law intern.
In his defence, Justice Ganguly said, "I was a victim of circumstances. I am shattered and shocked. I deny all the charges."
Ganguly further said that the intern was like a child to him. "She came to my house on a number of occasions. The intern is like a child to me. The intern has worked with me, but she has never raised the issue with me."
He had said, "When I was in Delhi, she was in Delhi. I did not force her to come to me, she had dinner with me and she had the liberty to leave. She should have left if she felt uncomfortable. I am a victim of circumstances."
Former Attorney General of India Soli Sorabjee has defended the retired apex court judge by saying his resignation would set a bad precedent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks