Shadol virginity tests: District officials booked
Bhopal: A woman on Friday registered a complaint against Shahdol district officials for allegedly forcing her to undergo virginity tests so as to be eligible for the mass marriage scheme in Madhya Pradesh last month.
The complainant from Gortara village said that after she reached the venue of mass marriage in Sohagpur town on June 26, officials there asked her to undergo a medical test.
Despite her resistance, she claimed that she was forced to undergo the test conducted by a lady doctor.
The Chief Minister`s Kanyadan Yojana has come under severe criticism from several quarters for allegedly forcing brides-in-waiting to undergo virginity tests compulsorily to participate in the mass marriage scheme.
A complaint has been registered under relevant sections of the IPC and the SC/ST Act against the then Collector Ajit Kumar, CEO Zilla Panchayat T S Shukla and the Deputy Director of Panchayat and Social Welfare Department.
Earlier, a similar complaint was filed by another woman in the same district.
Meanwhile, State Women`s Commission Chairperson Krishna Kanta Tomar said that no irregularity was found by its team in Shahdol district on the issue.
She said she has with her the statements denying that such tests being conducted as alleged.
A team of National Commission of Women has also gone to Shahdol district to probe the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter