Shahid Balwa follows Raja to Tihar Jail
New Delhi: Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Usman Balwa, arrested for his alleged involvement in the 2G spectrum scam along with former Telecom Minister A Raja, was on Friday sent to Tihar Jail after a Delhi court remanded him in judicial custody.
Special CBI Judge OP Saini remanded Balwa in judicial custody a day after Raja was sent to Tihar Jail till March 3.
The Dynamix Balwas (DB) group managing director was produced in court following expiry of his four-day CBI custody. The court took into account CBI counsel Akhilesh`s submission that he is no longer required for interrogation but
he may be remanded in judicial custody as the probe into the case is not yet complete.
The court also directed Tihar authorities to consider Balwa`s plea to have home-made food and special orthopaedic mattress and pillows in jail as per the relevant rules after his counsel pleaded for special privilege for his client saying he suffered from acute back pain.
Balwa was arrested on February 8 in Mumbai and had been flown to Delhi on a transit remand. He was the fourth person to be arrested for his alleged involvement in the 2G spectrum allocation scam, which, as per the CBI, has caused a pecuniary loss of Rs 22,000 crore to the state exchequer.
Raja, who was arrested on Feb 2 for his alleged role in the scam, is alleged to have manipulated rules to favour some telecom companies including Swan Telecom and Unitech Private Limited in allocation of spectrum at throwaway prices.
Raja was arrested along with former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura and his former personal secretary RK Chandolia, who were sent to Tihar Jail on Feb 8.
The CBI had also questioned ADAG chairman Anil Ambani on Wednesday at its headquarters, confronting him with Raja and Balwa, amid allegations that his group received favours from Raja in getting dual technology and a role for Reliance
Telecom in promoting Swan Telecom.
Ambani is believed to have clarified to the CBI "about the ongoing issues" related to the possible role of Reliance Telecom Limited (RTL), a subsidiary of ADAG, in Swan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Maruti sets up water ATM at Kasan; to open 3 more in the region
- Kejriwal bullying people, misusing Delhi funds in Punjab: Akali Dal
- Arshad Warsi, Boman Irani impress with brand new poster of 'The Legend of Michael Mishra'
- Reliance Jio's 4G rollout in next three months: CLSA
- Britain's May heads to France for Brexit talks