Shah`s arrest a setback for state govt`s rehab policy: CPI(M)
Srinagar: The CPI(M) state unit on Sunday said the arrest of Syed Liaqat Shah by Delhi Police was a setback for the government`s policy of return and rehabilitation of Kashmiri youth who had crossed over to the other side of the Line of Control (LoC).
Jammu and Kashmir CPI (M) secretary MY Tarigami sought facts on the arrest of Shah, a Kashmiri youth who along with his wife had returned from Pakistan via Nepal and was arrested by Delhi police.
"Shah`s arrest is a serious setback which should not be ignored or taken lightly by the state government. The government must come out with the facts in this matter and send a strong message to those who are averse to such reconciliatory process," Tarigami said.
He cautioned about spreading of a dangerous trend in which no innocent youth is being framed for the sake of perks and prize positing across the country.
"We believe the statement of Liaqat`s second wife in which she had said that he came to surrender before the authorities in Jammu and Kashmir after the application of his family for his rehabilitation under the state government`s policy was approved by authorities, should be taken into consideration without any partiality," Tarigami said.
He said the Chief Minister should take up the issue with the Central government and ensure that Shah is released without any delay.
"In the past, many Kashmiri youth have suffered terribly as they were framed in different fictitious cases of terror. Later the judiciary had to intervene and they were freed. We are concerned that Liaqat should not be another such a youth who will have to suffer despite denouncing violence," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal