Shakeel compares Modi and Kejriwal after Delhi CM quits
New Delhi/Chattarpur: Comparing Arvind Kejriwal and Narendra Modi, Congress leader Shakeel Ahmed on Sunday appeared to suggest that the Delhi Chief Minister, who has quit, was better than the BJP Prime Ministerial candidate.
Ahmed`s assessment was, however, rejected by party colleague and spokesperson Satyavrat Chaturvedi who called it "absurd".
He made the comparison while taking a jibe at the Gujarat Chief Minister.
"Kejriwal has proved himself more ethical by resigning to fulfil his national ambitions, unlike Mr Modi who is still glued to CM`s chair," Ahmed, who is AICC general secretary in-charge for Delhi, said on Twitter.
His comments came two days after Kejriwal resigned after suffering a defeat in the Delhi assembly on the Jan Lokpal Bill. The AAP leader had alleged a nexus between Congress and BJP to ensure that the anti-graft legislation was not passed.
"It was an absurd statement. The one who was unable to run the government for more than 49 days despite Congress`s support cannot be termed as better than Modi," Chaturvedi said, talking to reporters in Chattarpur in Madhya Pradesh.
"Both (Kejriwal and Modi) can`t be termed as better. One of them is novice while the other is communal. Therefore, I am of the opinion that there is no point in making such statements as such things damage the party`s image," he said.
"Besides, Modi is also a communal leader who wants to destroy the country`s unity with the poison of communalism.
"Both can`t be compared and needed to be discarded."
BJP leader Vijay Goel slammed Ahmed for his remark, saying that nobody wants a "certificate" from him. He also claiemd that people wanted to see Modi as prime minister.
Before Kejriwal had quit, Congress leaders had been maintaining in private that his focus was on Lok Sabha polls and that he would not remain as Delhi Chief Minister for long as the promises his AAP party had made before the Assembly elections were difficult to fulfill.
A few days before Kejriwal`s resignation, Ahmed had tweeted, "People say despite INC support AAP govt will be in minority soon due to revolt by few AAP MLAs, to hide this Mr Kejriwal will resign soon."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling