Shanghai International University to open up Hindi course
Beijing: A Hindi Language Chair, the third of its kind in China, will come up at a leading university in Shanghai, as India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the varsity to set up such a facility.
The MoU was signed by Indian envoy to China S Jaishankar and Shanghai International Studies University Executive Vice President Feng Qinghua on October 29 at Shanghai, a release from the Indian Consulate in eastern Chinese metropolis said today.
Peking University and Guangdong Foreign University have similar Chairs to teach Hindi.
Under the terms of the agreement, Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) in consultation with SISU shall appoint a Hindi Language professor to teach the language to Chinese and international students at the Shanghai International Studies University.
The Hindi language Chair would be a long term Chair wherein the incoming professor would teach students as well as conduct research for a period of two years.
The first course on Hindi language at SISU is expected to commence from September 2013, the release said.
Education has been identified as an important area of cooperation between India and China.
This MoU is a very significant step in facilitating enhanced communication and familiarisation with Indian culture to Chinese and international students, it said.
Establishment of this Chair at SISU is in keeping with the objective of fostering greater educational and academic interaction as well as creating awareness about Indian civilisation, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!