Shankaran extradition case ruling on March 27
London: A UK court hearing the extradition case of Naval War Room leak accused Ravi Shankaran was on Friday granted further bail to him till March 27.
District Judge Nicholas Evans at Westminster Magistrates Court here said he will pronounce his ruling in the case on that day.
"I need the time to read through a lot of material that I haven`t read and then I`ll be in a position to rule," he said during a hearing in the extradition case today.
Shankaran, 46, a retired naval commander and relative of former Navy Chief Admiral Arun Prakash, is a key accused in the case of leaking classified information from the War Room to arms dealers.
He has been absconding since the case was registered by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in March 2006.
The CBI revoked his passport in May that year and secured a Red Corner Notice against him after filing a charge-sheet in July 2006.
An extradition request was sent to the UK in 2007 following reports that he was in the country and he was arrested by British authorities in April 2010 on the basis of the non-bailable arrest warrants issued by the Court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate, New Delhi.
At today`s hearing, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) argued the CBI’s case that there was substantial evidence to extradite the accused for a trial in India.
However, Shankaran`s defence team, led by James Lewis QC, argued that some of the evidence should be ruled inadmissible and also that their client`s human rights were at a "real risk" of being breached due to the "endemic delays" in the Indian judicial system.
"There is no doubt there has been an unconscionable delay in this case," Judge Evans said.
He also asked for written submissions from both sides on any indication the CBI is able to give in reference to speeding up the process of bail for Shankaran in an Indian court before the next hearing on March 27.
If the judge rules in favour of the CBI, the case will be sent to the UK Home Secretary, Theresa May, for a final decision on whether to order Shankaran’s extradition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'