Shanta resents silence of PM on money stashed in Swiss bank
Shimla: BJP national vice president
Shanta Kumar on Wednesday questioned "intriguing silence" of Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh on black money stashed by Indians in
Swiss bank and said he owed an explanation why serious efforts
were not made by the government to get them back.
"A whopping Rs 1.65 lakh crore has been stashed by
Indians in Swiss Bank but the Union government is not at all
keen to get the money back inspite of offer made by Swiss
bank to give details of the accounts held by Indians," Kumar,
who is Rajya Sabha member from HP, told reporters.
Charging the PM with shielding the corrupt people, who
had earned money through questionable means and depositing the
same in Swiss bank, the BJP leader said India reluctantly
signed the UN convention against corruption and had not yet
So far 140 countries have signed the convention while
120 countries including Pakistan and Switzerland have already
ratified it but the Indian government was "not willing" to lay
its hands on corrupt people, he alleged.
"I raised the issue in the Rajya Sabha also but the
Prime Minister in his reply skipped the issue and now I have
written a letter to him to come clean on this issue and
explain the real position to the people", he added.
Later, Kumar accompanied by party general secretary J
P Nadda and state BJP leaders led a demonstration in front of
local CBI office to protest "misuse" of CBI by the Union
government and also handed over a memorandum addressed to
President of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees