Shantaram Naik to head Parl committee on law
New Delhi: Shantaram Naik of Congress has been appointed as chairman of the Standing Committee on Law and Justice following the resignation of Abhishek Singhvi, who is embroiled in a CD controversy.
Naik has been appointed to the post by Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari.
Singhvi resigned as chairman of the committee on April 23 in the wake of the purported CD involving him.
The committee had grabbed headlines after it came out with a report on the Lokpal last year on whose recommendation the government brought a re-drafted legislation on the issue.
At present, the panel is scrutinising the Citizen`s Charter bill.
Issues related to women employees, their problems at workplace, especially in reference to the guidelines framed by the Supreme Court in the Vishakha case, are also being studied by the committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city