Shanti Bhushan fined for stamp duty evasion
Allahabad: Team Anna member Shanti Bhushan was on Friday found to have evaded stamp duty to the tune of Rs 1.35 crore in the purchase of a prime property here and slapped with a fine of over Rs 27 lakh on the outstanding amount.
Assistant Stamp Commissioner KP Pandey said that Bhushan, a former union minister, has so far paid Rs 46,700 towards the stamp duty for the purchase of the property spread over 7,818 acres of land in the posh Civil Lines area. He will have to pay within a month the outstanding amount, in addition to the fine, with 1.5 percent interest with effect from November 29, 2010.
The entire amount has to be paid within a month, failing which the department will initiate further action, Pandey said.
Shanti Bhushan used to stay in the bungalow built on the land till the 1970s when he moved to New Delhi.
He, however, did not give up the possession of the property and remained involved in a protracted litigation with the landlord before purchasing the land through an "agreement to sell" in November, 2010.
It has been claimed by the department for stamp and registration that the veteran lawyer had shown purchase of the property for a paltry sum which enabled him to understate its value on which the stamp duty payable was calculated and Rs
46,700 was paid.
A notice was issued to Bhushan in February, 2011 for alleged evasion of stamp duty to the tune of nearly Rs 1.35 crore.
However, Bhushan has been maintaining that there was no evasion of stamp duty on his part.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Sangeeta Bijlani not miffed with 'Azhar', says Emraan Hashmi
- No sugar shortage: 31 million MT sugar to be available during 2016-17
- Vegan? Here's how you can get all key nutrients!
- India performing well as compared to other nations: UN expert
- Up close and personal – Get to know Sonam Kapoor better: Here's how