Sharad Pawar set to reshuffle party at government, organisational levels
Mumbai: In a surprise move, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar has secured the resignations of all his party ministers at the centre and in Maharashtra, a top party official said here late Friday.
He has simultaneously taken the resignations of certain other key party functionaries, including the state NCP Presidents, after a party convention here Friday.
The NCP chief is likely to soon carry out a major party reshuffle the official, requesting anonymity, said.
Top party officials, when contacted Friday night, declined to comment on the developments on-the-record.
The exercise of securing the resignations would pave the way for possible changes of representatives who would occupy cabinet posts.
While on one hand, some ministers may by drafted for party work prior to next year`s Lok Sabha and Maharashtra assembly elections, other key party functionaries may be inducted into the cabinet, the official said.
"This is an internal matter of the NCP. The party chief will decide whether new faces should be inducted into the central and Maharashtra cabinets, and assigning fresh responsibilities to various leaders," the official added.
The developments assume significance amid speculation of cabinet reshuffles both at the centre and in Maharashtra.
Founded in 1999, the 14-year old NCP is a key constituent of the ruling United Progressive Alliance at the centre and is a partner in the Democratic Front government in Maharshtra.
The NCP has nine Lok Sabha Members and seven Rajya Sabha members, plus three cabinet ministers at the centre - Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, Heavy Industries Minister Praful Patel and Minister of State for Agriculture Tariq Anwar.
In Maharashtra, the NCP has 15 cabinet ministers, including the post of deputy chief minister occupied by Ajit Pawar, and five ministers of state. It has 62 legislators in the state.
The development was followed by reports of meetings among Congress leaders in the state and at the centre and the possibility of Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan travelling to New Delhi Saturday to meet top party leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in